In every Parkland community, residents are welcomed and cared for by a team of compassionate professionals who value safety, independence and peace of mind. Within Parkland’s Supportive Lifestyle, the Memory Care lifestyle option is designed specifically for older adults living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
Based on leading memory care practices and certification programs, Parkland’s Memory Care neighbourhoods provide residents assistance and/or supervision with activities of daily living. Our dedicated team members work to understand the unique personality of each resident, including their mental and physical health history, where they are in the moment, and how we can support their goals moving forward.
Inspired by residents and their continued independence, our comprehensive Memory Care lifestyle provides access to the following services and amenities:
- 3 meals and nutritional snacks daily, prepared by our in-house culinary team
- Medication administration
- Full laundry and housekeeping service
- Spacious suites designed for accessibility (walk-in shower and seat) and colour contrast to provide visual cues that promote independence and safety
- Suite entrances personalized with belongings and/or decor
- Neighbourhood design includes extra-wide hallways with custom handrails to provide a continuous walking path
- Same-floor access to a dedicated dining room area with minimal noise to provide an intimate meal-time experience
- Common areas designed for specialized recreational activities, including music, tactical art and fabric choices to support sensory stimulation, reducing stress and anxiety
- A secure neighbourhood environment to support those with a risk of elopement (wandering) within a secure building (additional door monitoring systems)
- Specialized social and wellness programming such as music and pet therapy, designed by a trained team member
- A centrally-located nursing station staffed 24/7 with professional team members who are trained to understand the unique needs of those living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, including a Registered/Licensed Nurse present 16 hours per day
- Individual care plans are developed for each resident and overseen by Parkland’s clinical team, including regular health reviews
- Experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate team members available for family consultations to answer questions or discuss concerns
Our experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate team members take the time to get to know each resident, creating a smooth transition for those joining a Parkland Memory Care neighbourhood. Residents can make their suite their own by bringing decorations and special touches, including bringing their own furniture and keepsakes. Every detail from special dietary requirements (e.g. gluten-free, diabetic, heart healthy, etc.) to favourite pastimes are considered to ensure residents feel at home.
While our internally managed standards and commitment to service excellence is consistent across all Parkland communities, there are variations to the Memory Care admissions process depending on location. In Ontario, Parkland is a member of the Ontario Retirement Communities Association (ORCA) and licensed through the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA). All new residents in Ontario require a physician’s assessment and in-house health assessment prior to arrival. In Nova Scotia, members of our clinical team play a vital role in ensuring resident needs are matched with the appropriate lifestyle option and supports.
If you live in a region where Parkland Retirement Living or Lifestyle Residences operates, but where Memory Care is not currently offered, please reach out to a Parkland community nearest you to discuss your options, including All-Inclusive Lifestyle, Assisted Living and/or Enriched Care.
Learn how your monthly living costs compare to Parkland’s one monthly bill.